RStudio Package Manager 1.0.2
- Git packages can now be built from subdirectories within a Git filesystem.
- Git packages can now use SSH keys with or without a passphrase.
- SSH connections when performing Git operations now utilize a private SSH agent
process for improved security.
- Git packages now include the commit SHA in the package DESCRIPTION file for
- Fixed a bug where Git commits could be built out of order if they were recorded
in different timezones.
- Fixed a bug where Curated CRAN sources might need an CRAN update prior to an
RStudio Package Manager 1.0.0
- RStudio 1.0 is the first generally available release of the product. RStudio
license terms, conditions, and limits apply. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more
- RStudio Package Manager can automatically track R packages in Git (including
GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitLab). Tracking Git endpoints requires a valid
installation and configuration of R. Private endpoints are supported using
ssh-keys. See the Admin Guide
- Improved messaging for CLI commands and CRAN sync operations.
- CRAN synchronization will not happen until a manual sync has occurred or a
repository subscribes to a cran source or curated cran source.
- BREAKING: A sync schedule of 12:00AM (server time) daily is now enabled by
default. To only have manual syncs, configure a blank
SyncSchedule in the
[CRAN] configuration. See the
RStudio Package Manager 0.7.0
- BREAKING: The new default minimum TLS version for the HTTPS listener is “1.1”,
in compliance with PCI Data Security Standards. Previously, TLS 1.0 was enabled
by default. Additionally, it is now possible to specify the minimum TLS version
HTTPS.MinimumTLS configuration setting.
- Fixed a bug in which CPU usage of the
rstudio-pm service would increase over
- Added a new configuration flag,
HTTP.ForceSecure, that makes RStudio
Package Manager set the
Secure flag on all of its cookies. This provides extra
security when running RStudio Package Manager behind a HTTPS-terminating proxy.
HTTP.ForceSecure also sets the
Strict-Transport-Security header on all web
RStudio Package Manager 0.6.0.1
- Fixed a bug in which empty files were being served for
packages.gz files in the
/bin/ directory. This was causing problems in R
versions 3.4.4 and greater when a user attempted to install more than one
RStudio Package Manager 0.6.0
- Added Usage Statistics for analyzing package downloads and package licenses
- Compress (gzip) the packages and archive RDS files before serving them to
- Added row.names to the packages RDS file.
- The CLI
list sources output now includes source types.
- Added a CLI
list command that outputs a tree of all repos and sources.
- Added a CLI
fetch command to initial eager package fetching.
- The CLI now uploads local packages using multi-part uploads to the API. Only
the CLI needs permission to read files you are uploading, and relative paths
- Added support for minor migrations for CRAN sources. Minor migrations are
typically used for supplementing CRAN sources with additional metadata.
- Added the
NeedsCompilation fields to CRAN sources.
- Improved the informational and error messages displayed during curated CRAN
- Fixed a bug that resulted in reading the wrong package DESCRIPTION file in
some CRAN packages that include DESCRIPTION files at multiple paths.
RStudio Package Manager 0.5.0
- BREAKING: RStudio Package Manager’s support for CRAN metadata was simplified.
RStudio Package Manager now includes a single, default CRAN source and the
fetch mode and sync schedules are defined server-wide in the configuration
file. If you have existing CRAN sources, they will be dropped when upgrading.
cran source will be created automatically. Use the CLI to subscribe existing
repositories to the new
cran source and to sync the new
cran source. Example:
If you had a repository named
prod that subscribed to an CRAN source named
cran-src, you will need to run:
rspm subscribe --repo=prod --source=cran
rspm sync after upgrading.
- BREAKING: The
FetchTimeout configuration properties have
been moved to a new
[CRAN] configuration section. If you included either of these
two properties under your
[Server] configuration section, you will need to move
them to a new
[CRAN] configuration section.
- RStudio Package Manager now includes curated CRAN sources, giving administrators
the ability to host approved subsets of CRAN instead of taking an all-or-nothing
approach. Administrators add packages, preview changes, and even perform dry
runs before running updates. The admin guide contains examples and quick start
[CRAN] configuration section now includes
SyncSchedule setting accepts a crontab format for scheduling
synchronization of the CRAN source. The
SyncMode setting defaults to
but can be configured as
eager for eager package downloading. The sync
schedule and mode were previously configured using the CLI.
- Admins can now edit source names, repository names, and repository descriptions
edit CLI command.
- Added an
[API] configuration section that includes the settings
DefaultApiResultsLimit for configurable API result limits.
- Added documentation for air-gapped environments. See the
Admin Guide for details.
- Eliminates external fonts in the UI.
- The activity page for a CRAN source now lists the historical date represented
by a sync operation instead of the date the sync occurred.
- Removed the CLI
sync-wait command and replaced it with a flag. You can now
rspm sync --wait instead.
- Better support for the URL property that appears in many CRAN package
DESCRIPTION files. This property appears in CRAN packages as
url, which are all now supported.
- The package date for archived packages is now displayed in the UI.
- The CLI
reorder command allows reordering source subscriptions for a
repository. This allows you to change the priority for resolving conflicts when
two sources include a package with the same name.
- Fixed a bug that prevented using the UI through a proxy that prepends a
prefix to the RStudio Package Manager URL.
Last-Modified headers when serving a package
- Support for Ubuntu 18.04.
- SUSE Enterprise Linux 12 SP3+ Support.
RStudio Package Manager 0.4.0
- BREAKING: Sources can no longer be hidden. Since repositories can subscribe and
unsubscribe from sources (since 0.2.0), there is no need to hide sources.
Sources that were previously hidden will no longer be hidden after upgrading
to this release. If your repositories subscribed to hidden sources that should
remain hidden, please unsubscribe those repositories from the hidden sources
- Added the ability to version and migrate CRAN sources. This allows RStudio
Package Manager to replace outdated or flawed CRAN sources without losing
- Added a /ping endpoint to allow services to more easily monitor the
service’s status. It always responds with an empty JSON message and a 200
- Sources cannot be deleted when associated with any repositories. A
repository’s source subscriptions and unsubscriptions are all recorded
permanently. To preserve a repository’s immutable historical records,
no sources that were ever associated with an existing repository may
be deleted. If you need to delete a source, you must first delete any
repositories that at any time subscribed to the source.
RStudio Package Manager 0.3.0
- BREAKING: This release incorporates major improvements to sources typed as
cran. Packages in existing sources typed as
cran will be removed when
upgrading. Administrators should initiate synchronization for any sources typed
cran after upgrading.
- KNOWN BUG: When using an NFS share for
[Server].DataDir, there can
be delays of up to 60 seconds when initailly serving particular files
including the PACKAGES files for a particular repository. When using the
“lazy” sync mode with CRAN, this delay can also occur the first time a version
of a package is served. This latency can be improved by shortening the length
of time attributes are cached on your NFS clients (see the
noac NFS mount options). We will work to resolve this latency in a
- Added support for multiple current versions of CRAN packages.
- Support synchronizing multiple CRAN checkpoints simultaneously. This greatly
reduces the time to synchronize a CRAN source.
- CRAN checkpoints are cached to avoid redundant downloads. This greatly
reduces the time to synchronize CRAN sources.
- Introduced better logging configuration options to provide helpful logging
during CRAN synchronization without overwhelming logs. Also added trace-level
- Added a
sync-wait command to the CLI. This command lets you wait for
synchronization to complete after you initiate a synchronization.
- The RStudio Package Manager service now manages its
directory correctly to avoid missing domain socket files on operating systems
that use temporary file systems for the
- More consistently sort/order packages. Previous RStudio Package Manager
releases ordered packages inconsistently when using PostgreSQL vs. SQLite.
- Sort archived packages by version in the RStudio Package Manager Web client.
- Fixed a bug that prevented package link (depends, imports, etc.) versions from
being displayed in the RStudio Package Manager Web client.
- Added the ability to specify a description for repositories, which are
displayed via the CLI and the UI.
RStudio Package Manager 0.2.0
- The RStudio Package Manager service now runs under an unprivileged account. By
default, the service runs under the
rstudio-pm account. See the admin guide
appendix on changing the RunAs User if you need to adjust the service account.
- BREAKING: Upon upgrading, if you previously configured RStudio Package Manager
with alternative data directories, cache directories, log files, or .gcfg
locations, you will need to manually change ownership on these
files/directories to the new
rstudio-pm service account. See the admin guide
appendix on changing the RunAs User for more information.
- BREAKING: The internal structure of Package Manager has changed. Repositories
no longer contain packages directly, but instead repositories are composed of
one or more “sources”. Sources are typed as either
cran. See the
admin guide for more details. Due to this change, upgrading to 0.2 will wipe
all existing repositories. Administrators should recreate the repositories
using the source + repo model. Any CRAN packages that were previously
downloaded will be retained on the server and can be accessed after a new
repository is configured. Local packages will need to be re-added.
Additionally, the cache directory,
/var/lib/rstudio-pm/cache can be removed
prior to upgrading to save disk space.
- BREAKING: The administrator command line interface (CLI) has been significantly
refactored for easier use. Any scripts developed with the previous CLI should
be rewritten. The new CLI does not require root. Instead, admins should be
part of the
rstudio-pm unix group. Instructions for changing the group are
included in the admin guide.
- BREAKING: Package Manager now tracks the number of downloads for each package.
To do so, a new database was added for storing metrics. Servers using Postgres
will need to create a new database and populate the
configuration option or disable metrics by setting
[Server].MetricsEnabled = false. Servers using the SQLite database (the default) will not need to alter
their configuration; a new database will be created alongside your existing one.
[Server].MetricsRetention configuration option specifies when to reap metrics
that have expired.
- The Package Manager web interface displays additional information about packages,
including prior archived versions.
- In version 0.1.0 users were prompted to name the repository
RSPM. The new
Overview page suggests naming the repository according to the repository name on Package Manager.
- A date parsing error that occurred when adding local packages was fixed.
- A number of bugs were fixed to properly sync CRAN packages including properly
archiving prior package versions and correctly displaying the
RStudio Package Manager 0.1.0
- This is the initial alpha release of RStudio Package Manager.